Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Year Ago

      Before a year ago I thought my life would be that of a typical find a job and go to school and have all the same friends from high school and full of the stories people tell of one another because we all grew up together but little did I know with one decision that I made it would change my whole perspective on life and change my life for the better. I was a privileged child my parents made good money and for the most part we got what we wanted and needed I can't remember a time I didn't have what I needed. In a way I guess you could say I was spoiled (but not a brat). My parents though taught us once we were of age to work that anything extra we wanted would be on us. When I was 16 I got my first job and unlike all my other friends that meant I no longer got money from my parents to go to the movies or out shopping, and when college came around I took out loans of my own to pay for them because my Father told me it would teach me responsibility. At first I thought all this was to unfair, I mean why are they doing this to me when they can pay? Now that I am older I understand completely.
        
     A little over a year ago I made the decision to move from California to Texas you could say it was on a whim but I have always been the spontaneous type. Moving to Texas has honestly changed me in so many ways and I could not be more grateful that something in me decided to move. When I first moved to Texas I thought I had just made the biggest mistake of my life it was right in the middle of summer and it had been 30 straight days of 100 degree plus weather (which I have never experienced growing up in Orange County, California). I was miserably hot and was on a mission to find a job and get everything going for my school. Once I started my first job here I immediately loved how people are in Texas, friendly, nice, always willing to talk and have amazing stories. My first job is were I met two of my roommates who helped change my life. Most of my friends back home were like me came from a privileged family and  got everything they wanted but my roommates came from a whole different background. They came from families were a parent was an alcoholic, were they had been on there own since 16, and a family that had the bare minimum and just scraped by. My roommates had done everything themselves since a young age and worked for everything they had. I continued to meet people with stories like this and it made me extremely thankful for all I have and had growing up with. I thought I had problems and that my life was so difficult and never really thought how bad others may have it and I think a lot of people are like that. Living in Texas and meeting all the people I have met has made me a better person and makes me want to continue to strive to be a better person.
     
    I have thought and thought about how I can go on to help others who are not as fortunate as me and my new adventure that I am working on is to travel to Ethiopia, or any place in Africa to help orphans, help build homes, or help do anything I can. I am beginning my research and am hoping to go Summer 2013 and I can't wait. Why Africa you may ask? Africa because ultimately I plan to adopt from Africa in the near future but that will be another post!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment